News

'One or two idiots ruin it': Council blocks track to vehicles

October 02, 2019

 A four-wheel-drive enthusiast has a message for people calling for the closure of tracks  –‘‘give us a chance.’’

North Canterbury 4WD Club member Trevor Taylor says the city council’s decision to install a gate blocking off Worsley’s Track to vehicles without consultation was not fair and people should have been consulted.

Read more:

But city council transport operations manager Steffan Thomas said consultation was not required on this occasion.

“The closure of Worsleys Rd was undertaken through the use of a temporary traffic management plan. This closure was notified by pre-warning signage on-site, as is required for temporary closures. As this is not a permanent closure, consultation as per road stopping process was not needed.”

Mr Thomas said Worsley’s Track will be closed to cars and motor-cycles until late August next year “due to concerns about fire risk.”

Southern View reported last month Huntsbury Ave resident David Drayton wants the city council to do more to stop four-wheel-drive vehicles damaging the Bownvale Reserve track and endangering walkers and cyclists.  

Mr Taylor read the article and told Southern View closing off tracks like this one and Worsley’s Track is unfair to responsible four-wheel-drive users.

Mr Taylor said it is just a few people ruining it for everyone else wanting to drive on tracks like these.

“One or two idiots ruin it for everyone else. It’s the old story, let’s punish the good guys, and it’s just not right.”

He said North Canterbury 4WD Club always encouraged its members to be responsible when four-wheel-driving and believed they should not be punished for other’s bad behaviour.

“We’re very, very careful with what we do. We always follow the tread lightly policy that we have, that sort of leave only a few tyre marks and nothing else, that’s very important for us. That’s why we have these regular meetings with DOC [the Department of Conservation] and things like that.

“I’m just an ordinary four-wheel-driver who wants us to keep our access,” he said.

Mr Thomas said there are still options for people wanting to go four-wheel-driving but they should not abuse these privileges.

“There is a variety of information available online for local four-wheel-drive opportunities, including through the Department of Conservation and four-wheel-drive clubs. The council would also encourage four-wheel-drivers to use all roads with respect and to minimise damage that may inhibit other road users,” he said.

This article was posted by Peter Vahry in General news | Land access (141 reads)