Forum

Why not being used!!

Misc. discussion topics, but keep it NZFWDA related please

Why not being used!!

Post by Jenny Jordan on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:32 pm

This is the first time that I have had a good look at this forum. It looks to be well set up and is simple to use.
The NZFWDA AGM is coming up shortly and felt I needed to see what was being asked via the forum but see nobody has used it for sometime.
We should be asking the question WHY? What needs to change to make it more user friendly for all members and do we need to continue with it?
Jenny Jordan

Re: Why not being used!!

Post by Alan Geeves on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Good question. I have the page on my homepage list so look at it every day but nothing changes. Its not because there are other ways either. The yahoo group run by the magazine but also used by the association to send stuff out is also very quiet. Might be the price of gas
I hear the train a comin Its rollin down the line. I only hope the rails and sleepers are all installed in time
Alan Geeves

Post by Peter Vahry on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:22 pm

Hi Jenny, a good question that's hard to answer. We could open this up to a wider array of topics and try to encourage participation in that way but with the ORE forum already serving that role, to compete could be futile.
The original aim was to have news and discussion topics being fed into this forum for the members to get involved with. However that means a commitment by those with news and points for discussion to be involved and recent NZFWDA people have not made that step. There's a section about meetings but not updated.... it should be!
As you've discovered, it's not hard to comment.... hopefully others might discover that too.

Peter
Peter Vahry

Post by Roger Seymour on Sat May 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Its not being used because people like me have not been supportive of this forum, not on purpose because its a great opportunity, but we need to get behind it I agree. I been thinking about it, if you look on that other 4WD forum you will find that most (not all) of those people are stupid, ill informed, and most likely would not pass the same test that Dan and Derek passed recently in Wellington. We need to upset some people in order to get this forum rolling.
Roger Seymour

Post by Alan Geeves on Sat May 26, 2012 6:57 pm

I did look at that other place once. The founders did a massive amount of work and there idea was great but it has been taken over by people with more money than sense and you always get the feeling that if you aren't running 37 inch tyres and a modified v8 you are wasting your time and theres.
I hear the train a comin Its rollin down the line. I only hope the rails and sleepers are all installed in time
Alan Geeves

Post by Peter Vahry on Sat May 26, 2012 9:57 pm

Thanks Roger, if there's good information on this forum and we want to get people to find it, we can always put a link on ORE suggesting that people have a look at this one. It's just a matter of changing habits.

If another category/ topic is needed to cover an issue, then that can be created.
Peter Vahry

Post by Roger Seymour on Sun May 27, 2012 7:59 pm

Hey Alan, I run a 6.2 litre V8 and 38.5 inch tyres but I dont read that forum because a few of those contributors have a mouth that is much bigger then the brain attached to it lol.
Roger Seymour

Post by Alan Geeves on Sun May 27, 2012 10:33 pm

I was trying to word what I was writing better but couldnt. You understand the real world where not everyone wants or can afford a vehicle like that. You also believe in tread lightly and only use that power where appropriate. You are not who I was aiming at.
I was aiming at those that preach that unlimited power it is the only way. They are also the ones that wreck tracks etc by wheel spinning on impossible hills and ignoring the rules.
As has been said many times in many forums its not tyre size or cubic inches that is the problem its the application of those things. Reading the posts on ORE leaves a feeling that some people there do not understand
Alan Geeves

Post by Fen Coull on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:34 pm

As a pretty experienced user of internet forums over the past years, some very actively, some as a lurker gaining information, and still others in between I can offer some insight.

Having recently joined and taken a look the biggest issue I have is the lack of info. I wanted to understand the authority card changes in particular. Nothing since 2011. Why is that? If NZFWDA isn't going to use its own forum, why would I, as a new member and potential new user, bother?

Secondly, this forum is saddled with seeming quasi-official. That's unavoidable as it is owned by NZFWDA, but the internet embraces the independent, the rebel and the free (financially and attitudinally). Speaking of financially, having to pay $30 to become an NZFWDA member to use it won't help. Is the forum open to non-members of the Association to join?

As an occasional user of ORE over the past few years I don't necessarily identify with the disparaging generalisations stated above, but I can GUARANTEE that little will put off a potential new forum user who is feeling a little trepidatious more than seeing aggressive or abusive posts, triply so if they feel those posts are directed at them. Those of you generalising others as stupid or idiots in what is a public place should be ashamed of yourselves. Do you really think anyone coming here as an ORE user and reading that is likely to feel welcome? Do you really think this forum can succeed without attracting a significant proportion of its user base from the current ORE users? There aren't that many people in NZ, never mind those who give a damn about 4wd.

The idea that upsetting people is the way to get this forum going is laughable, unless you want it full of trolling, abuse, arrogant regulars who belittle new members and virtually nothing of value. I challenge you to show me a single successful internet forum where that is the approach out of the tens of thousands on the 'net if you can. Sure some forums can be a bit rough - Pirate4x4 comes to mind in that regard - but that's not suffering fools at worst. No forum with any users sets out to upset people for the sake of it.

Jenny the OP sounds like a decent user / nice person, who I suspect is new to the internet forum concept. She didn't post back after her first post. Why do you think that was? My bet is she felt like she just walked into a rough pub and decided she was uncomfortable. Well done guys (you know if I mean you); you made yourselves part of the problem.

So, how to make it succeed and use it more? The internet is overpopulated with forums on all sorts of topics so there are no guarantees, but:

1. If it isn't already open to everyone to join the forum regardless of whether or not they are an NZFWDA member then it needs to be. I honestly don't know if that is the case or not, but if you need to join the NZFWDA to join the forum then you may as well close it down. Think of it as a shop window to attract members to the Association, not a perk for existing members.

2. Publicise it. I didn't know it existed until I was already a member of NZFWDA. If people don't know it's here then they can't try it out.

3. All forums have a culture or personality. If you think ORE isn't what people want then attract people by demonstrating this forum is different. Badmouthing ORE and generalising its members as stupid, idiots, having more money than sense, insinuating they drive without consideration to the tracks etc. alienates a large proportion of the internet savvy 4wd community. Worse it potentially turns them against NZFWDA.

4. Reward people for looking. I don't mean literally, but have something on here that they will find of value so they feel it was worth their time. That way there is a chance they will come back. I know that's tricky, but until the forum reaches a critical mass where the users are generating interesting or informative content the job falls to the admins. Otherwise pull down the shutters because nobody is going to stop by more than once or twice. At the very least post a topic about any news item covered elsewhere in NZFWDA publications. To be honest when I checked the 'news' front page a couple of days ago it still had an item dating back to September '11. If front page news can be 10 months old then maybe the whole association is a bit stagnant, or at least the website is. This is a major problem.

So, harsh words? Yes. Rude and offensive? I certainly don't think so (unlike others posting on this thread). The truth hurts sometimes. I don't know if the association can make a go of this forum, but from what I read posted above there's no chance unless ideas are bucked up big time.

Fen
Fen Coull

Post by Alan Geeves on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:34 pm

Interesting thoughts and probably a lot closer to the mark than people are willing to accept.

ORE gets picked on not because of the 98% of good honest 4wders that belong there and also probably belong to other clubs and or follow the rules etc Its the other 2% that wouldnt understand that they were being picked on or why even if you spelled it out to them. Unfortunately this 2% effectively rule the ORE forum and really give the impression that beyond there own 4wding pleasure nothing matters. Some of these people are in the management of ORE so dont expect that to change anytime soon. That 2% are the tar and feathers on what could be a good organisation.

Your comments also bring up the question of what this forum is. I believe it was set up as a way for the association to decimate information out to the members of the clubs. As far as general discussion this has always been the domain of ORE and the yahoo forum nz4wd@yahoogroups.com but neither of these are owned or managed by the association. I havnt looked at ORE for a long time but the yahoo forum is amazingly quiet as well. Maybe it is time to look at what this forum stands for. It is always going to be for the association and to an extent by the association members

The authority card is something this forum should of had a lot more info about This is true. The info to the clubs has been extensive so the process to get a card is very well known but not a word on the thresholds. If I had a big lift I would have no trouble completing the task of getting a card but if I had a medium lift I wouldnt have a clue as to whether I needed to go down this process. This is something this forum should be enlightening us on
Alan Geeves

Next

Return to General