Forum

Why not being used!!

Misc. discussion topics, but keep it NZFWDA related please

Re: Why not being used!!

Post by Fen Coull on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:01 pm

I'm relatively new to the 4wd scene. I dabbled a few years ago but have only really got serious recently. I can certainly see aspects to ORE that I don't identify with, but I hang out in the Jeep garage most of the time and in that small area it's pretty comfortable with a good mix of knowledgeable and newbie posters. It could be a bit busier, but then it's the Jeep garage not the Mitsuyota one.

It reflects NZ society however; as a migrant I'm probably sensitive to things in a new culture that I'm more immune to in my native UK, but there are strata in NZ that I don't mix with and strata that I do, and there is also one stratus that I sometimes come across that makes me uncomfortable. I think that's just life.

It's definitely important to work out what the forum is for. In my 13 years as an Internet forum user I've joined dozens of forums. Some have been so quiet that I have reluctantly given up on them, some have been so 'lightweight' that I have found them worthless and some of them are gold mines.

I genuinely don't believe that NZFWDA has enough members to support an active enough forum to encourage people to visit regularly. A forum needs the momentum or critical mass I mentioned before to keep people interested. I don't know the proportions but I expect only around 20-30% of members are active posters and without active posters there is no content. Work out how many members the Association has, what percentage are active, take say 20% of those who might become forum members and another 25% of that, and that's around your number of contributors. I don't know what it needs to be to sustain a forum but in excess of 100 I'm sure. Dissemination of information is the domain of email; a discussion forum is overkill for that purpose.

This possibly isn't the place to discuss the authority card, but I completely agree. My truck has what I'd expect (hope) is a medium lift. I don't know if it needs a cert or an authority card or both. Except it either needs both, or just a cert. So what's the point of the authority card then? Until we get lift thresholds agreed virtually nothing as far as I can see. That brings me to an area I'd have loved to contribute to discussion on...

I don't know the hot rod community, but I do know their association can issue a card that allows them to run uncovered tyres. Now I have no interest in taking that away from them, but if it's for any worthwhile reason other than purely cosmetic then someone please explain to me what that is.

I run a Wrangler, which as we all know has plastic flares covering the wheels. Unlike a hot rodder, I have to cover my tyres. No biggie except that the first time I get on a track where I have to make contact with a bank, while responsibly enjoying the hobby for which my vehicle is modified, I break 3 out of 4 of the plastic flares. Were I allowed not to cover my full tyre tread I could run the wheels rather than the fragile plastic along the bank without damage.

Question: 'Could NZFWDA negotiate a tyre coverage exemption for us like the hot rodders get (but we don't even need totally open tyres), because we get a legitimate benefit from our modified vehicles not having the wheels fully under arches, and they got an exemption just for show?' That sort of discussion I'd like get involved in.

Fen
Fen Coull

Post by Alan Geeves on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:37 pm

The flares are easy. The rules say that tyres must be covered by the original guards/flares but it doesnt say that they must be the actual original guards. Certification will cover larger tyres but not flares but the flares must cover the tyres. This means you can fit after market flairs no issue if your tyres are standard or certified. You can buy duraflares which are virtual copies of what you have at a similar price to genuine or you can buy flexiflares at about $300 or you can go to mitre 10 and by recycled plastic garden edging and a handfull of screws for about $40 which gives enough for 5 or 6 flares. Ive had flares made of this for 7 or 8 years and apart from pulling the screws through a few times from either the flare or guard they have worked well. Look a little rough though.
You dont want exposed tyres on a real 4wd They help keep the mud down
I hear the train a comin Its rollin down the line. I only hope the rails and sleepers are all installed in time
Alan Geeves

Post by Fen Coull on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:42 am

Getting well off topic for this thread now, but I don't mind a bit of mud and I'd far rather hit the truck with a water blaster and call it done than have to nail random bits of plastic back onto it after every trip. The flares I trashed were aftermarket ones. They lasted 3 trips.
Fen Coull

Post by Alan Geeves on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:13 pm

The garden edging seems indestructible. Its even survived a small mishap that took 2 days with a 5 pound hammer to rectify (used a Jeep as a emergency stop) Front guard was 3 inches shorter than it should of been but the garden edging although it popped most of the screws just screwed back on. I have a scrap down one side from a tree ( bighorns shouldnt always follow Suzukis) that runs up to the flair then restates the other side of the wheel The flair must of folded flat during that one.
I hear the train a comin Its rollin down the line. I only hope the rails and sleepers are all installed in time
Alan Geeves

Previous

Return to General