Forum

puketoi road to be closed

Central zone land access issues

puketoi road to be closed

Post by Alan Geeves on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:16 pm

Subject: [nz4wd] puketoi road to be closed

anyone know anything about this. Is it an opertunity as an unformed 4wd road

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standar ... councillor
I hear the train a comin Its rollin down the line. I only hope the rails and sleepers are all installed in time
Alan Geeves

Re: puketoi road to be closed

Post by Peter Vahry on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:10 am

It certainly seems to be an opportunity for a recreation route at least and the NZFWDA should promptly lodge their opposition.
Peter Vahry

Post by Alan Geeves on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:56 pm

looking at the Tararua council website did not find a way to make submissions.
I have a suspicion it may be tied up with the windfarm on puketoi range but no solid info. There is a paper road on top of that range that looks on google earth to be fun
I hear the train a comin Its rollin down the line. I only hope the rails and sleepers are all installed in time
Alan Geeves

Post by Peter Vahry on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:04 pm

Alan, the Council may not yet have published the required public notice, but simply agreed that they have the intention to stop the road. If it's viable as a road, then at least the local club/s could contact the Council for more details and indicate that they will oppose the road stopping. If there's wind farm money behind the exercise, then it is likely to be argued in the Environment Court eventually.
Councils are starting to get wary of the cost of Court just to stop a road... ratepayers don't like it when they find what it costs.
Peter Vahry

Post by Alan Geeves on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:13 pm

ideal answer would be to leave this as a road but just put a sign at each end saying it is unmaintained and not suitable for normal traffic.
This is what used to be the case on north range road in the tararuas and Judds pass near hanmer springs. North range road had wind farm money spent on it almost making it a tar sealed highway Dont know the current status of Judds and Jolley pass.
Alan Geeves

Post by Peter Vahry on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:38 pm

Alan, I agree with your 'unmaintained' road suggestion and all that's needed initially is for someone local to contact the Council and ask for an opportunity to talk about the options. Once the basics are known, then groups like the NZFWDA, PANZ and Walking Access Commission can pick it up. I seems that there is at least one councillor who may well be helpful.

Andy Cockroft thinks it is worth following up, as he reckons it's a rather scenic road.
Peter Vahry

Post by Alan Geeves on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:28 pm

Quiet day at work so hunted down the council minutes

http://www.tararuadc.govt.nz/pdf/Minute ... n_2013.pdf

10.5 Slump and Possible Closure of Puketoi Road
10.5.1 That the report from the Design Manager dated 23 January 2013
concerning the slump on Puketoi Road and its possible closure (as
circulated) be received, and
That the Council advertise its intentions to discontinue all maintenance to
the middle section of this road, with the length to revert to road reserve
and become an unmaintained road. The minimum length proposed is to
include the slip site between Rp6.5 and Rp8.35 (DOC boundaries at both
ends), and the maximum closure be from Rp3.65 to Rp9.95 (end of
Draper property to Otapawa house).
Crs Southgate/Fenemor Carried
10.5.2 Prior to advertising the proposed closure it was requested that
clarification
be provided to ensure that there will be no impact on access to the air strip
within the vicinity of properties in the area.
10.5.3 Cr Davidson requested that his dissenting vote be recorded regarding this
item of business.

Sounds like it really does become a new destination for us even if it is a 2 hour drive each way.
I dont know how to read those Rp numbers
Alan Geeves

Post by Alan Geeves on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:07 pm

2 pictures of the slump

IMG_0530.JPG
IMG_0530.JPG (107.99 KiB) Viewed 10832 times

IMG_0529.JPG
IMG_0529.JPG (97.88 KiB) Viewed 10828 times
Alan Geeves

Post by Peter Vahry on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:52 pm

A classic case of drainage needed. A decent cross ditch or water bar up where the vehicle is parked and then some work digging out the bank behind the slip, along with a good drain to move water away from the slip area and it should be good for a few years.
Peter Vahry

Post by Alan Geeves on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:32 pm

Thing is there appears to be nothing substantial in the ground below the slip almost as if it was backfill Also there as a shallow gully directly above the slip. I dont understand the apparent lack of culvert as the water had to go somewhere and there is no evidence of it scouring out the road. Rest of the road is much like what you can see in the background. ie good bad little used gravel road. There is already a road closed temporary sign at each end
Alan Geeves

Next

Return to Central